Rhoda Maxwell's first teaching job was at Black's Station, now the town of Zamora. She taught there for three years.
In 1893 she went to Enterprise for one year of teaching.
In 1896, Maxwell went to Pleasant Prairie School (in the Plainfield area) and taught there for four years.
The years 1898-1900 found her teaching at Oak Creek School. This was at Yanktown, located between Zamora and Dunnigan.
In 1900, Maxwell returned to the Woodland School to teach under the direction of T.L. Whitehead who was principal at that time.
She was made Vice Principal of the Woodland School in 1906 and continued to teach there until the new Primary School (also known as "Baby School") on Walnut Street was opened in 1918.
Maxwell was made Principal of the new school and served there as teacher-principal until her retirement at the end of the school year, June 1938.
In 1954, the Primary School on Walnut Street
was renamed "Maxwell School" and served as a primary school until 1968 when it was closed to pupils and became the District Office for the Woodland Joint Unified School District. In April 1970 the "new" Rhoda Maxwell Elementary School was opened and once again Miss Maxwell's name is adorning a building full of children.